Grandparents’ baby showers are becoming more popular (gotta include those Grandpas) as families celebrate the arrival of a new grandchild. These events are a way for grandparents to be recognized and celebrated for their new role in the family. While baby showers are typically thrown for expectant mothers, a grandparents’ baby shower provides an opportunity for grandparents to receive gifts, advice, and support from their loved ones as they prepare for the arrival of their grandchild.
Planning a grandparents’ baby shower involves many of the same considerations as planning a traditional baby shower, such as selecting a venue, creating a guest list, and choosing decorations and party favors. However, there are also some unique aspects to consider, such as how to involve the grandparents-to-be in the planning process and how to incorporate their preferences and interests into the celebration. With careful planning and attention to detail, a grandparents’ baby shower can be a meaningful and memorable event for everyone involved.
Planning the Grandparents’ Baby Shower
If you’re planning a baby shower for the grandparents-to-be, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that the event is a success. Here are some tips to help you plan the perfect grandparents’ baby shower.
Choosing a Date and Time
The first step in planning a grandparents’ baby shower is to choose a date and time that works for everyone involved. It’s important to consider the schedules of the grandparents-to-be, as well as any other family members or friends who will be attending. You may want to consult with the grandparents-to-be to find a date and time that works best for them.
Selecting a Venue
Once you have a date and time in mind, you’ll need to select a venue for the baby shower. Depending on the size of the guest list, you may be able to host the shower at someone’s home. Alternatively, you may need to rent a venue, such as a community center or event space. When selecting a venue, be sure to consider factors such as cost, location, and amenities.
Creating the Guest List
The next step in planning a grandparents’ baby shower is to create a guest list. You’ll want to invite family members and close friends of the grandparents-to-be, as well as any other loved ones who are excited about the arrival of the new grandchild. Be sure to consult with the grandparents-to-be when creating the guest list to ensure that you don’t accidentally leave anyone out.
When creating the guest list, you may also want to consider whether or not you’ll be having any games or activities at the shower. If so, you may want to invite guests who are likely to participate and enjoy these types of activities.
By following these tips, you can plan a memorable and enjoyable grandparents’ baby shower that celebrates the arrival of the new grandchild.
Decorations and Party Favors
When it comes to planning a grandparent baby shower, decorations, and party favors are important to set the mood and show appreciation to your guests. Here are some ideas to help you make your event special.
Theme and Color Scheme
Choosing a theme and color scheme can help you create a cohesive look for your baby shower. Some popular themes for grandparent baby showers include “Grandma and Grandpa’s Little Blessing” or “Grandma and Grandpa’s Little Miracle.” You can also choose a color scheme that matches the baby’s gender or the overall tone of the event.
Centerpieces and Table Settings
Centerpieces and table settings can add a touch of elegance to your grandparents’ baby shower. Consider using floral arrangements, baby bottles filled with candy or small toys, or personalized photo frames as centerpieces. For table settings, use themed plates, cups, and napkins to create a cohesive look.
Party Favors and Thank You Gifts
Party favors and thank-you gifts are great ways to show appreciation to your guests. Consider giving out personalized candles, photo frames, or keychains as party favors. You can also give thank you gifts to your guests, such as personalized thank you cards or small gift baskets filled with treats.
Remember to keep your decorations and party favors in line with your budget and the overall tone of your grandparent baby shower. By following these tips, you can create a memorable event that your guests will cherish for years to come.
Food and Drinks
If you’re planning a grandparent baby shower, you’ll want to make sure that the food and drinks are delicious and memorable. Here are some tips and ideas to help you plan the perfect menu.
When planning your menu, consider the preferences of the expectant grandparents and their guests. Keep the menu simple and easy to prepare, so that you can spend more time enjoying the party and less time in the kitchen. Here are some ideas for a tasty and easy-to-prepare menu:
- Finger foods: Serve bite-sized appetizers that are easy to eat and don’t require utensils. Some ideas include mini quiches, stuffed mushrooms, and fruit skewers.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Prepare a variety of sandwiches and wraps with different fillings, such as chicken salad, tuna salad, and veggie wraps.
- Salads: Offer a variety of salads, such as pasta salad, potato salad, and green salad.
- Cheese and crackers: Set up a cheese platter with a variety of cheeses, crackers, and fruit.
- Desserts: Offer a variety of desserts, such as cupcakes, cookies, and fruit tarts.
Beverages and Cocktails
When it comes to beverages, offer a variety of options to suit everyone’s tastes. Here are some ideas:
- Non-alcoholic drinks: Offer a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, such as lemonade, iced tea, and fruit punch.
- Cocktails: If you want to serve cocktails, consider offering a signature drink that’s easy to prepare, such as a mimosa or a bellini.
- Wine and beer: Offer a selection of wine and beer to suit everyone’s tastes.
Desserts and Cake
No baby shower is complete without a delicious dessert. Here are some ideas for sweet treats:
- Cake: A baby shower cake is a must-have. Consider a simple cake with a cute baby-themed decoration.
- Cupcakes: Cupcakes are a fun and easy-to-serve alternative to cake. Offer a variety of flavors and decorations.
- Cookies: Cookies are a great option for a baby shower. Consider sugar cookies decorated with baby-themed designs, such as pacifiers and bottles.
Remember to consider any dietary restrictions or allergies when planning your menu. With a little bit of planning, you can create a delicious and memorable spread that will make the grandparent baby shower a success.
Games and Activities
When it comes to planning a baby shower for grandparents, you want to make sure that everyone has a great time. Games and activities can be a great way to break the ice and get everyone involved. Here are some ideas for games and activities that are sure to be a hit at your grandparents’ baby shower.
Ice Breakers and Group Activities
If your guest list includes people who don’t know each other well, icebreakers are some of the best games to play at a baby shower. Here are a few ideas to get the conversation flowing:
- Baby Bingo: This game is a great way to get everyone talking about their experiences with babies. Each guest gets a bingo card with baby-related words on it (such as “diapers,” “pacifier,” or “stroller”). As the gifts are opened, guests mark off the items on their cards. The first person to get a bingo wins a prize.
- Baby Name Game: Have guests write down as many baby names as they can think of in a set amount of time (say, five minutes). The person with the most names wins a prize.
- Advice for the New Parents: Have each guest write down a piece of advice for the new parents on a slip of paper. Collect the slips and read them aloud. This is a great way to get everyone involved and share their wisdom.
Baby Shower Games
No baby shower is complete without some fun games. Here are a few ideas that are perfect for a grandparents’ baby shower:
- Diaper Changing Relay: Divide guests into teams of two. One person on each team is the “baby,” and the other is the “parent.” The “parent” has to race to change the “baby’s” diaper as quickly as possible, then tag their partner to do the same. The first team to finish wins a prize.
- Guess the Baby Food: Take the labels off several jars of baby food and number them. Have guests taste each one and try to guess what flavor it is. The person who gets the most right wins a prize.
- Baby Photo Match: Ask guests to bring a baby photo of themselves to the shower. Hang the photos up on a bulletin board or wall and have everyone try to match the baby photo to the correct guest. The person with the most correct matches wins a prize.
Photo Booth and Props
A photo booth can be a great way to capture memories from the baby shower. Here are a few ideas for props and accessories to make your photo booth extra special:
- Baby-themed props: Think pacifiers, bottles, bibs, and baby hats. You can also find printable photo booth props online.
- Grandparent-themed props: Hats or shirts that say “Grandma” or “Grandpa” can be a fun addition to the photo booth.
- Backdrop: Hang a sheet or piece of fabric in a fun pattern or color to create a backdrop for the photos.
With these games and activities, your grandparents’ baby shower is sure to be a hit.
Gifts and Registry for the Grandparents’ Baby Shower
When it comes to a grandparents’ baby shower, gift-giving is an important aspect. Guests want to give a gift that is both meaningful and useful. Here are some tips on creating a registry and gift ideas for both grandparents and new parents.
Creating a Registry
Creating a registry is a great way to ensure that guests give gifts that the grandparents and new parents will appreciate. Consider registering for items that will make life easier for the new family, such as baby gear, clothing, and toys. Online retailers like Amazon and Buy Buy Baby offer easy-to-use registry services that make it simple to keep track of what has been purchased.
Gift Ideas for Grandparents
Grandparents play a special role in a baby’s life, so it’s important to find a gift that reflects that. Consider personalized items like picture frames, blankets, and jewelry that feature the baby’s name or birthdate. Another great option is a book that grandparents can read to their grandchild, like “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch.
Gift Ideas for the New Parents, Too!
Even though the grandparents are the guests of honor here, new parents often need practical items to help them care for their new arrival. Consider gifting small items like some onesies, baby socks, or a nursing pillow. You can also opt for more sentimental gifts like a keepsake box or a personalized baby book.
The key here is to select something smaller and simple, but also thoughtful and useful. It is very likely that the new parents will also be receiving gifts during a shower or at the baby’s arrival. By creating a registry and considering your guest’s budgets, you can ensure that your gift will be appreciated and appropriate.
While grandparents’ baby showers are becoming more common they are not without controversy, as outlined in this article at huffpost.com, “What’s The Deal With Grandparent Baby Showers?“. Though these types have showers have been around for decades (ask me how I know), though not as well known, they actually have been known to cause friction between the generations. A more modest gift, given with love and care could go a long way toward reducing any hard feelings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some good gift ideas for grandmothers at a baby shower?
Grandmothers can give a variety of gifts at a baby shower, from practical items like diapers and baby clothes to sentimental gifts like photo albums or handmade blankets. Other great gift ideas include personalized jewelry, baby carriers, and baby books. We have included some specific gift ideas in our blog article, “Grandparents’ Baby Shower: Gift Ideas To Bring Joy To The New Family“.
What is the appropriate amount to spend on a grandparents’ baby shower gift?
There is no set amount that grandparents should spend on a baby shower gift. It’s more important to choose a gift that is thoughtful and meaningful rather than focusing on the price tag.
How can grandparents be honored at a baby shower?
Grandparents can be honored at a baby shower in a variety of ways, such as by giving them a special corsage or boutonniere, including them in a special toast, or having a special photo display of the grandparents and the expectant parents.
What are some outfit ideas for grandmothers at a baby shower?
Grandmothers can wear a variety of outfits to a baby shower, from casual dresses to dressy pantsuits. It’s important to choose an outfit that is comfortable and appropriate for the occasion. Accessorizing with a statement necklace or scarf is a great way to add a touch of elegance to any outfit.